Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Twelfth Day







We've been having some nice days here with plenty of sunshine. Yesterday was a bit chilly but today was much warmer. So us townies decided to take a walk along the quay past Dungarvan Castle because we hadn't been out that far before. If you keep walking, you can look out into the bay, and just a little farther to the left, the ocean! I got some great shots, but right as we got there, some ominous clouds rolled in and we lost what little sunshine we had. We ran back to the house when it started to rain. Luckily, it wasn't pouring, and it stopped before we even got all the way home.

Today I also signed my parents and myself up for a day trip Friday April 12th to go to Waterford to see the crystal factory and JFK's homestead, led by Tom Keith, of course! I'm pretty excited because my mother especially was interested in Waterford crystal.

As for what we did in Dr. Reed's class, we went over more of Yeats's poems. This one is officially dedicated to my mother, Julie:

The Song of the Old Mother

 I rise in the dawn, and I kneel and blow
Till the seed of the fire flicker and glow;
And then I must scrub and bake and sweep
Till stars are beginning to blink and peep;
And the young lie long and dream in their bed
Of the matching of ribbons for bosom and head,
And their days go over in idleness,
And they sigh if the wind but lift a tress:
While I must work because I am old,
And the seed of the fire gets feeble and cold.

This sounds like something my mother would say! Since this past Sunday was mother's day here in Ireland, I suppose I should say happy mother's day to her with this lovely, kind of depressing poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment