Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fifth Day

The group of thirty students traveled to Waterford Institute of Technology to meet our professor Seamus O'Dioullin.

Bus Driver: "It looks like a bit of sun!" Dr. Reed: "Yes, but it's supposed to rain later I think." Bus Driver: "Oh, oh yeah, I'm sure it will. Later on tonight, tomorrow.....Thursday, Friday..................Saturday.........Sunday. That's what you get, one day of sun with six months of rain."

Dia duit! That's hello in Gaelic aka Irish. It's pronounced dee-ah whit (and the second word is said with the back of the throat...if I'm describing that right at all). Today I started my Gaelic language class at WIT, but I'm auditing which means I don't have to do homework or tests or anything. Unfortunately, that means I still have to go and sit through class. We've been given full access basically to the campus...except for the food of course (seriously one meal a day for 5 days out of 7 is what we're provided with, and NO meals when we go on trips to Dublin, Berlin, Galway, or any of our own...this is getting ridiculous). But I digress; I'm pretty interested in at least picking up a few terms in the Irish language. Today, in the WIT cafeteria, I was talking to one of the girls from Mercyhurst about how chaotic it was in there, and a few of the people around me stopped and stared, somewhat surprised at my accent. That alone was a new experience.
I would also just like to mention that it was gorgeous and sunny for just over half of the day today before the clouds rolled in. We had our first Ireland rain today, but it really was hardly sprinkling so I don't know if that counts. Ireland is beautiful even when it's gloomy outside, but this morning, with the sun shining, there was a sort of haze across the mountains and the fields. Everything was bright and even more amazing in the sun. Bonus: it was actually warm today, I only had ONE sweatshirt on!
Also, I would just like to note that our bus driver was quite the interesting guy. I didn't really talk to him, instead I eavesdropped on what he was saying, but he was talking about the state of the Irish economy and their political troubles. He also mentioned that he has to pay taxes on his taxes, in other words, when he gets the tax refund from the government, he has to pay taxes out of it. So instead of getting 1,000 back, he only ended up with 460!
For dinner we went to the pub...again! This time I had leek and potato soup with apple pie. It was delicious, of course. I don't think I've had anything here so far that I haven't enjoyed eating.  

For Dr. Reed's Literature class I've been reading Castle Rackrent by Maria Edgeworth. The preface explains (I think, if I'm understanding it right) that people love grand tales. But when they hear these exaggerations, people sometimes miss the truth, and yet, there is some greater truth to be seen in stories. This is especially true for the Irish, and the more that I'm here the more I realize it! I've heard some great stories so far from Pierce the hotel owner and from Tom Keith. This evening the literature class watched Waking Ned Devine, which I've already seen. I really love the movie, but I appreciated it even more being here, and it gave everyone a huge laugh, a good time, which is referred to here as "crack."

After the movie, Sarah, Nikki, Lindsey, Rachel, Emily, Megan and I went to Merry's which was just a few doors down to have a drink. JUST ONE because we have class the next day. It was a "grand" time, and we're tossing around some ideas for our week of free travel at the end of the term. People wanted warm like Barcelona or Italy, but they wanted to see London and Paris as well. So I suggested that maybe we do London and Paris (there's a train between under the English channel) and for warm we go to the Cote d'Azur (the French Riviera)! I'm so excited for the possibilities. Anyway, I've got homework to do, so for now, slan (goodbye)!

1 comment: