Saturday, March 2, 2013


 

Second Day

After finally getting some sleep, 32 Mercyhurst University students get a tour through the town of Dungarvan to get acclimated and are officially welcomed by the town council and the mayor.

Do you know why the symbol of Ireland is a harp? It's because Ireland is run by pulling strings!
- Tom Keith

At 10:00, the students and the professors, led by Dr. Hosey, were given a tour around the town of Dungarvan. It took us a little while to get moving since some of us were already exhausted from the trip and others had a late night at the bar. I and my roommates, as well as most of the rest of the group went to the bar at the Park Hotel right next to our townhouses to celebrate Rachel's 21st birthday. I didn't drink because I was on the verge of passing out anyway without the alcohol added in. Tom Keith stopped by after searching the other pubs to find us and he told us about a student that had many years ago studied abroad in Ireland in Dungarvan. A police officer or guard, as they're called, gave him the money for a flight home when he'd run out. After, that student established a company in the U.S. called Dungarvin. After hanging out with the group, I went back to get some rest!

Within our 5 minute walk radius there are about 10 or so pubs, nearly just as many pharmacies, shops, and plenty of places to eat. She took us by the quay (pronounced key) where the water was rushing back out into the bay. When we were done with our tour, the group was brought to the town's civic offices to be welcomed by the town council. We took several group photos, and the mayor specifically mentioned my name in his speech because it is clearly an Irish last name, and he said those of us should see this as a homecoming. In fact, that's pretty much how I see it. From what I've seen so far of the countryside, it reminds me a lot of upstate NY.

Following the introduction, we were treated to some food, MORE TEA, and some Irish step dancers (unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me at the time). There, I talked a little bit to some of the sisters of mercy who had come to welcome us. Later, Dr. Hosey brought us to the library to get our library cards, and we also got cards for Jitterbean's, a nice place to order food from. We had already gotten food last night from there, so I'm especially grateful they gave us the cards, plus a free coffee, plus a discount!

culture shock! It was overwhelming to try and shop for groceries today. The typical brands are no longer the cheapest, and I have no idea which local ones to trust. Apparently if you want peanut butter you have to make sure it is made American-style because the local peanut butter is completely different. I spent all day wandering around trying to get used to the place. I ate lunch at the bagel bar...the Irish seem to have sausage for breakfast lunch and dinner which is really bad I think. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sausage, but I don't want my cholesterol to be at like 675.
Later, Dr. Hosey invited the entire group to Merry's pub to have some hors d'oeuvres and a round or two on her. I, personally, am not really a fan of beer in general. It's nasty tasting to me. But Bulmer's Irish Cider is a good substitute, and it's a new favorite. It's a lot cheaper than other drinks! After hanging around Merry's and talking with Tom for a while (he is my new favorite person, he's like a grandpa), we all went to the Anchor Bar. The Anchor is a pub for the younger generation and it's nice because there's room to dance and the mixed drinks actually aren't as highly priced as some of the other pubs I've been to so far. I danced plenty and now I'm off to hang out with my house-mates! Slainte!

4 comments:

  1. I've heard tell that they have pretty good whisky

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't tried it yet! I tried the guinness though and it was definitely not for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It's how you say cheers in Ireland! (slan-cha)

      Delete